Thursday, December 3, 2015

Recipe Advent Calendar - December 3rd - Black Hills Golden Egg Bake

Eeek!  Three days in and I almost forgot to do this! LOL  Having a great time working on my daughter-in-law's genealogy today and getting ready to spend tomorrow at the Temple for our Temple Jubilee day, plus with teaching and planning for Seminary and helping with Tommy's Cub Scout outing, my mind was elsewhere.

I decided to stick with breakfast for today.  Mainly because of this quote from Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne:
" 'When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,' said Piglet at last, 'what's the first thing you say to yourself?'
" 'What's for breakfast?' said Pooh. 'What do you say, Piglet?'
" 'I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?' said Piglet. 
"Pooh nodded thoughtfully. 'It's the same thing,' he said." 

The other breakfast recipe that is requested a lot is one that I found online a few years ago on Taste of Home.  It's called Black Hills Golden Egg Bake.  I don't make it exactly like the recipe, as normal, but it's really yummy just as the author posted it. It is one of our typical Christmas morning recipes along with Aebelskiver. I've never had anyone say that they disliked it. Here's the link: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/black-hills-golden-egg-bake


Black Hills Golden Egg Bake
1/2 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/4 c. butter, cubed
10 eggs
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt, optional
2 c. (16 oz.) 4% cottage cheese
2 c. (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
2 c. (8 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
(I just use the shredded Mexican blend instead of these two and like it better.)
1/2 lb. bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1 can (2 1/4 oz.) sliced ripe olives, drained (seriously, my family would disown me if I put olives in anything, so these are never, ever added.)

Grease a 9x13 pan with butter and set aside. In a small skillet, sauté the mushrooms and peppers in butter until tender.  I've also thrown in Thrive Foods reconstituted freeze-dried spinach and other peppers and they're also good.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, flour, baking powder and salt.  Blend together then add mushroom mixture.  Add remaining ingredients and pour into greased pan.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake for an additional 25-35 minutes or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Serves 10-12 servings.

I heard of someone lining the baking pan with crescent rolls and then pouring in the ingredients to make a flaky crust, but I haven't tried that yet.   If it worked, it would be very much like Panera's soufflés. I suppose you could also make these into individual servings pretty easily by pouring into cupcake or tart tins.

Enjoy!

According to Taste of Home, this was originally published as Black Hills Golden Egg Bake in Country Extra March 1999, p51

No comments:

Post a Comment