Thursday, December 17, 2015

Recipe Advent Calendar - Day 17 - Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies


Today I spent most of the day with my friend, Marlene Paisley.  She just had a new baby, Zoe, a couple of days ago.  Zoe is very, very tiny at only 3 lbs., and was precious to see.  Marlene and I became friends mostly over Facebook, I guess, but we're both Realtors and both like food.  One day, she brought me a box of cookies for a Christmas present and I gave her these Thumbprint cookies in exchange.  

I am skipping ahead to a dessert, but this is the cookie that cemented our friendship.  It was good to spend the day with you, Marlene!  Congratulations on your precious and tiny baby. 

Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
from Christmas Cookies by Oxmoor House

2 cups butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup sugar 
2 tsp. almond extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
sesame seeds (I never put these on) 
raspberry preserves

Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.  Add almond extract, flour and salt; mix well.  Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour. 

Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in sesame seeds.  Place two inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheets (I use parchment paper).  Flatte cookies slightly and indent centers with thumb; fill centers with raspberry jam.  Bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.  Remove to wire racks to cool.  Store in airtight containers.

Makes about 5 dozen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment