Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Recipe Advent Calendar - December 1st - Scotch Broth

Yesterday, I had an interesting experience.  I was at the grocery store buying some veggies and especially a turnip, rutabaga and parsnip to put into Scotch Broth.  The young man who was running the register looked at the rutabaga and hesitatingly asked if it was a rutabaga.  When I said yes, that it was, the lady behind me asked him why he would guess something so odd and then asked me what to do with them.  I explained that I was making Scotch Broth, a soup that I loved from when we lived in England.  Then I gave the woman my business card and said that I would be happy to send her the recipe if she would email me.  Then the young man at the register asked for my card also and said that he had friends who would enjoy the recipe, too.  I was happy to do that! :)

It made me realize how often I am asked for recipes.  It's quite often!  So, in the spirit of giving for Christmas, I decided that it would be fun to do a recipe Advent Calendar and post the recipes that I'm asked for most often.

Since Scotch Broth is one of those, it makes sense to start with that one.  So, here you go!  Enjoy!

Scotch Broth - based on a recipe from Silver Dollar City's Olde Country Recipes, but changed a bit.
Preparation time: 30-45 minutes, depending upon how fast you chop veggies!
Cooking time: 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  (Or all day in a crock pot)
4 large servings or 6 smaller ones

1 1/2 lbs. boneless lamb shoulder or leg, fat removed and cut into small cubes.
6 cups water
3/4 cup barley
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 med. onions, chopped
1 turnip, peeled and diced
1/2 - 3/4 of a med sized rutabaga, peeled and diced
1 parsnip, peeled and diced (go for a smaller to medium one)
top with snipped parsley, if desired, but I usually leave it off.

Trim fat from lamb and cut into small cubes.  In a Dutch oven or other large, heavy pot, place 6 cups of water, salt, pepper, lamb and barley and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
Add vegetables to soup.  Cover and simmer until lamb and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. This would also work well in a crock pot on low for several hours.  Skim fat if necessary.  Sprinkle with parsley and serve with warm french bread or rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment