Sunday, December 20, 2015

Recipe Advent Calendar - Day 20 - Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

It's well-past time to start the desserts for this advent calendar, so today in a texting session with my mom and siblings, a funny memory came up about the Hot Fudge Pudding Cake recipe.   Sandy asked me if I had the recipe, so I'll start with this one.

When I was a teenager, I would sometimes drive over to see my grandparents in the evening.  Grandma would go into the kitchen and whip up one of these cakes, or Bread Pudding or some other dessert for me, just on the spur of the moment.  Of course, that meant I needed to stay long enough for it to bake, but that was how she showed that she loved us.  Cooking = Love in our family, which is why I'm overweight, I would imagine!  But now, I do the same thing for my family and friends - if I cook for you, it just means I love you.

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake 

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup Hershey's baking cocoa, divided
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/4 cups hot water

Whipped topping or ice cream to serve with it.

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Stir together 3/4 cup gran. sugar, flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder and salt.  Stir in milk, butter and vanilla; beat until smooth.  Pour batter into an ungreased 9-inch square baking pan.  (If you're going to cook it in the microwave, which I don't recommend, but it works - use a 1 quart casserole dish.)  Stir together remaining 1/2 cup gran. sugar, brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa.  Sprinkle mixture evenly over batter.  Pour hot water over top.  DO NOT STIR. 

Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the center of the cake part is almost set.  Let stand for 15 minutes; spoon into dessert dishes, spooning sauce from the bottom to pour over the top.  Garnish with whipped topping or ice cream.

Serves 6 to 8 normal person-sized servings.  :)

To cook in the microwave, it will take about 10 to 12 minutes on high.  If your microwave doesn't have a turn-table thingy, turn it 1/4 turn half way through. Start checking it at 8 minutes to see if the cake portion is baked.  As with any baked good in a microwave, the texture is still spongy and doesn't crisp on top, but it still tastes awesome.

Oh, and the funny memory about this?  I got this recipe from my sister Linda many, many years ago when microwaves were just starting to be used very often.  The recipe stated "line the oven with paper towels."  I am fairly certain that Linda lined her normal oven with paper towels when she baked it, not using a microwave.  It might have just been that we'd laughed about "what if...", though.  We do that a lot.  :)

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment